Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin Pie Perfection

After my school's Halloween party, we had a few pie pumpkins leftover from pumpkin bowling. So I thought since they are PIE pumpkins that is what they should be used for. I'd never made pumpkin pie from scratch before but I really love pumpkin pie and have this new goal to be more domestic and learn how to cook things that don't come from the freezer, box or can! I googled some recipes for pumpkin pie and found quite a few but printed two out. I decided one was much simpler and went with that one. I got the ingredients and set to work.

First step...cooking and coring the pumpkin. You just cut it in half, spray with PAM cooking spray and cook it for about an hour until it is mushy. Then scoop it out, mash and puree it.

Here are the pumpkins post cooking.

After the pumpkin is ready, then you just add everything else from the recipe and pour it in the pie. This time I was extra domestic and even homemade the crust!


Here are my ingredients and pumpkin mush. Looks just like it came out of the can!

You bake the pie and voila!! PUMPKIN PIE!!!


However, when taking it to share with the neighbors, I found out that my lovely pumpkin pie...which smelled good and looked amazing, was actually not very tasty! The recipe I found did not call for any sugar, which I thought strange, but what did I know! I'd never made pumpkin pie from scratch! So, the two pies the first try made, ended up in the trash! Sad days! I guess that's what happens when you are just learning how to cook!

But the next weekend, I redeemed myself by making another pumpkin pie from scratch with a different recipe that called for not only sugar, but alot of corn syrup. It was MUCH better tasting! Still not like Costco's pumpkin pie good, but good enough that the whole thing was gone before I could snap a photo of it! It was a fun experiment but I think I will stick to the canned pumpkin or just go to Costco!!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

It sure looks good... but that's WAY too domestic for me! Costco is easier! Good job!

Kern County Kids Read said...

SUPER impressed! I have been wanting to try making my own pumpkin from scratch instead of out of a can too. I have a recipe I like from my great grandma, but it just calls for canned pumpkin so I have never looked up how to do it with real pumpkins from scratch. Kudos on your pie crust too. Mine never turns out so now I just buy premade crust and bake it Phbtttt.

Katie Price said...

You're my hero. We had fun the other night. Can we do it again soon?