Wednesday, September 16, 2009

MARATHON DAY

Long ago (not sure when), Jarad set the goal to run a marathon (yes, that is 26.2 miles!) before he turned 30 (which is just a few weeks away!). This past spring, he registered for and has been training for the American Discovery Trail Marathon in Colorado Springs. He ran and completed the marathon on September 7th, 2009.


Jarad at the park where the bus took him up to the starting line. It is very early...5:15am!


My Dad and I went to drop him off. Next time we'd see him was just prior to mile 10!


The same weekend of the marathon was a hot air balloon festival. Cole, Maura & I saw them taking off when we headed out to cheer Jarad on at the first check point.


Here we are ready to cheer!


Run Jarad Run! He is looking good and still seems cheerful!


By the time we were at the second check point for cheering, we had been joined by my brother Kevin (taking the pic) & his wife Lori as well as my parents and sister Lindsey.


He is still running...gotta gas up with the gatorade! Thanks Cole for being the picture-man!

We decided to throw another check point in and found out way to a spot at about mile 21 where we took this video.

My sister Lindsey decided to run back a little ways and then run with Jarad back to us. This was about mile 21!

Our last stop was the FINISH LINE! It was at America the Beautiful Park. We all got there and got settled in to wait for Jarad.

Lindsey & I chilled at the entrance of the park for him to run in. After he got to the park, he had to run around the outside in a loop to the finish line.


I decided to run the loop with him, even though I was ill-dressed to run!


Here here is about to finihs. Just past the cones was the official finish line. (see the posters to the side of the pic- that'd be the rest of the cheering squad!)


I DID IT! 4 hrs. 42 min. (approx)


The whole cheering squard- my sister Lindsey, Jarad- runner extrodinaire, me, Jar's sister Deahna and neice Sienna, Cole & Maura in the back, my parents and brother Kevin & sis-in-law Lori.

The race provided some pizza & sode and a few other snacks so we stuck around a little while to eat and enjoy the park.

Cole & Maura chillin' in the shade. It had gotten really hot!


Jarad & I took Sienna over to the giant, moving fountain that they have in the park as well. It was nice to put our feet in some cold water!


Me & Jar- I am so proud!! What an amazing accomplishment!


Some celebratory Oreo icecream cake! YUM!

After resting and cleaning up from the morning, we had to take our friends back to the airport and then head home.

We spotted a great rainbow along the way!

Sadly, as we neared the airport, my car was having serious problems! Luckily we coasted into the parking garage as my car totally died! Poor Jarad & Cole had to push it into a spot while I tried to steer without power steering!

We got Cole & Maura checked in and headed back to Salt Lake. Thank you to you guys for coming and for a great weekend! We miss ya like crazy!


My poor car getting towed! Apparently DIA has a rule about not leaving cars in the garage overnight so they kindly towed us out of the airport to the nearest gas station and no further. We tried to find a tow but since our house was about an hour away and it was 10pm, we gave up!


I was still exhausted from the days events, so here I am sleeping in my car while we waited for our rescuers! (Long story short on the car), Jarad's parents came down and rescued us and we got my car the next day and had it repaired and is working order now.)

It was a long and crazy marathon day but well worth it! Jarad did amazing and could even walk the next day! I am so proud of him and his drive to meet a goal that he had set for himself! COngratulations Jar!

5 comments:

Kern County Kids Read said...

Wow! So proud of you Jarad! Way to set a goal and do it! You are the man!

geri said...

WAY TO GO JARAD!!!

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Nice work Jar!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jar!! That is so awesome!

Katie Price said...

Really, I am so impressed. We ran that 10K and almost died. I can't believe he did that. That takes a serious amount of hard work and dedication. Way to go Jar.