Thursday, March 5, 2009

Single-Handed Updates

For those who've wanted to know, here is an update on my hand surgery. (For those who have a very weak stomach, be warned, there is one slightly graphic pic of my hand)

I had to wear this bandage wrap for a week and I couldn't get my hand wet.


So I had this fancy, high-tech walmart bag I had to wear over my hand while I showered.


After just about a week, I got to take off my bandage wrap and I have to admit I was kind of terrified to see what was underneath! But it wasn't too bad at all. I only had two sutures.


For the second week I just had to have a bandage over my sutures but then after I got them out, I haven't had to have one on at all times but I pretty much have so that no one has to see my nasty scab!


All in all, I am glad I did the surgery and am happy, just three and a half weeks out, with my recovery. I have almost full movement and can pretty much do everything I want with it. I have ditched all my wrist pain and the numbness is almost gone too, which is wonderful! I still don't have all my strength back and Jarad still has to open jars, etc for me but it is slowly returning as well. So, I would say it's has been a successful first surgery/recovery experience!

10 comments:

Emily said...

Happy recovery!

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Such good news! I don't know how you dealt with the numbness for so long...it is driving me insane!!

geri said...

Yeah for being whole again! Silly Ashley, the surgery had nothing to do with your ability to open jars ;) You just like to see Jarad flex his manly strength.

Alec and Tiffany said...

Wahoo! I am so glad you are feeling much better.

Amy S said...

Yay for the surgery going well. I'll bet you are super happy to not have to shower with the bag anymore. I know I would be!!!

J said...

It has probably been so difficult only having one hand. Plus not being able to get it wet for a week. Blaugh! At least you have a burley man around the house to help you with opening those darned jars! Hope you get the strength in your wrist back soon! At least there's not more pain or numbness!
BTW, miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Ouchie! That makes me hurt. Is it feeling better?

Kern County Kids Read said...

Smirk- I still have to have someone help me open jars. So glad the hand is better! Does playing your piano help with exercise?

crimefighter said...

Ok, I am sorry but that is nasty. I really could have lived my whole life and not seen that. Its one thing if its fake Hollywood or someone I don't know but seeing my sister's gave me the hee bee geebies.

The Brooks Family said...

wow thats dosent look pleasent. sorry you have to go through that.
I saw your blog when i was on the clymers blog, i also went to school with jarred.
good luck with your hand!
Amber