Friday, August 8, 2008

W.O.W- Girls Camp

Last week I was able to go to Girls Camp with the 12-18yr old girls from my church. I had a blast! The theme was W.O.W.- Women of Worth. I was unbelievable exhausted when I got home but it was worth it. We left early Monday morning and drove to the camp which is called Heber Valley Camp. It is owned by the church and the whole camp is more than 8,000 acres and is gorgeous and dedicated for the use of the girls! It has all the perks of clean-camping...bathrooms, showers, cabins, pavillions, amphitheater, etc. with all the perks of real-camping...bugs, dirt, fires, hiking, etc. Here are some photos from our week and a recap of all the fun things we did.


We're ready! Off to camp we go! The girls rode a bus and as leaders we drove. My car was packed with crafts, supplies, my stuff for the week and tons of snacks and food.


Our lovely cabin....seriously posh up there! Bunks, tables & chairs and even electricity!


Josie & I getting ready for the rope course...aren't those harnesses hot?!
Monday we hiked a mile to and from a challenge course. The main part was a ropes course and I encouraged all the girls to participate and in the end that meant I had to do it too. Can we say super scared?!!!


Me half way across the high-wire...do I look scared poopless? 'Cause I was!


Rapelling down...this part was actually fun!


Tuesday was our morning to go use the lake. So we hiked the almost two miles there and here is a view of the lake on our way there.


The gang hiking to the lake...we're almost there!


Emily, Josie & I shared a canoe. And luckily no one from our ward tipped unlike some others. The lake was beautiful and we saw a deer laying next to the lake and tons of baby ducks too.


On our hike back from the lake we saw this deer just off the path. We saw quite a few deer and other animals while we were up there. We even saw a baby buck with mini-antlers.


Tuesday night, we had a fire outside our cabin. Some of the girls roasted mallows and I experienced my first roasted starbursts. We also had a campfire Wednesday and made banana boats.


Teresa & Tiffany showing off their "nub" talents. I don't know where they came up with this or how they handled their legs being tucked back like that, but I almost cried laughing at what they were doing.


Debi, our ward camp director, was a little freaked out by the "nubs."


Wednesday morning, we arose very early (5:30am!) to complete a 5 mile hike. Most of the way was up the mountain and after a few wrong turns the 5 miles turned into like 6-7 but we made it! My feet may never be the same and muscles hurt that I didn't know I had but...we made it! Here's the view along our 5+ mile hike.


Taking a rest on our 5+ mile hike. Good thing for rests...and water and snacks to push us through.


Comin' home from the 5+ mile hike to find rocks instead of our pillows. The older girls had gone on an overnighter Tuesday and returned before we got back from the hike. They planned this little prank and had a good laugh at our expense.


I took my shoes off after the ardgous hike and my toes somehow got dirty inside my socks and shoes!


The girls did a presentation about Rebakah- our wards Women of Worth. It was fun to learn more about her as we helped the girls prepare the presentation.


Thursday morning we had yet another hike! This time a sunrise hike and quiet reflection time. (The service missionaries that run the camp said we were the hiking-est bunch they'd had all summer! We hiked ALOT!)
The sun coming thruogh the tree on our sunrise hike.


The gang on our sunrise hike.


One of the best games ever...PIG MANIA!!! Seriously! I haven't played since my childhood but it all came back to me in a flash! Love it! We also enjoyed a few round of Scattergories.


Thursday night, our Bishop and his wife came up to join us for dinner, skits and even brought us cheesecake and fresh strawberries!mmmm...I may have eaten too much of this at 11pm at night...surprised?!


Also Thurs. night everyone put together a skit. Ours was about Faith (our assigned YW value for the week) and it followed a Wizard of Oz theme, complete with Dorothy, a Munchkin, Scarecrow, Tin-Man, Lioness, Wicked Witch, Glenda, the Wizard of W.O.W. and Auntie Em. They journeyed through the Land of W.O.W.!


At the end of our skit we danced and sang "Gotta Have Faith" by George Michael. I was Auntie Em as you can see from my lovely sign.


Friday morning came and we ll packed up and were ready to go home...it was such a great week and I am so glad I was able to go.
Here we are...all the girls and leaders of the Millstream Ward.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Looks like so much fun! Wow! (no pun intended). I'm sure you all had such great experiences. You are such a fun leader! I'm sure you were so tired when you got back. I'm sorry I missed all the fun.

PS - Just saw your post about your table - LOVE it! I want to redo our mantel, but it seems so overwhelming to do. I may have to get some pointers from you.

geri said...

Yeah for girls camp! Who would think we spring-chickens could be old enough to be leaders! Wild!!! Looks like you had a blast.

Kern County Kids Read said...

Pig mania- never heard of it, but it sounds fun. You'll have to teach me. Wow! That's a lot of hiking!

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I showed Kevin the picture of your toes, and said who's feet do you think those are?! He was like Ashley's of COURSE!! lol...

J said...

awe, you little campers were so cute in all those pics! you guys did a ton of stuff. i'm glad you said it was worth it. i agree with jamie n. with her comment about you being a great leader. i always thought so!

Katie Price said...

So so fun. I'm so jealous. I didn't get to go to girls camp this year, but even when I did we didn't get to stay in a CABIN!!! Every ward should adopt that idea.

Josie said...

Oh, it brings back so many memories! You took so many wonderful pics. I should do a post about it. Do you ever feel like you're so behind and there's been so much stuff that goes on you just don't know where to start without overwhelming everone?
I'm so happy you did a great 'journal' of our camp, I am kinda tempted to print off your page!!!