Friday, June 13, 2008

Wrecked Wrist- Part 2

Here is an update on my wrecked wrist...
Side bar- now my thumb is also numb in addition to my middle finger! (see previous post if you are confused!)

So, just for future reference, nerve studies are bad! They make them sound so simple and pain free...they are LIARS! I had to have them done so they can try and figure out what to do about the numbness in my fingers. There were two parts to the testing-Nerve Conduction Studies (NCS) and Electropyography (EMG).

The NCS was slimy and weird! First they drew with pen all over my hand and arm to know where to do everything. Then they hooked up electrodes to my hand and fingers then basically shocked me or "stimulated," as they say, my nerves. At first it wasn't too bad, just a bit tingly, but then they kept turning the "stimulus" up and it began to hurt when they shocked me. Oh and the slimy part is that they use this gel all over too, kind of like when they do an ultrasound of any kind.

So, after the shocking NCS was through, the EMG was next. They said it would be a little poke and basically no worse than getting blood drawn. LIARS AGAIN!!! The two doctors, one real one and one resident, took turns and poked a needle into the muscles in my hand and arm. Like the stabbing needle wasn't painful enough, then they proceeded to move it around in my muscles and made me move my fingers and hand while the needle was still in me! Needless to say, I did a little screaming and almost cried, Jarad did a little laughing at me and then it was finally over.

Post NCS & EMG the real doctor said that he doesn't think it is carpel tunnel after all and that he thinks there is something disturbing the nerve in my elbow area. To which I replied, COOL! so I don't have to wear this annoying brace anymore? And he said nope, I should continue with the brace, etc. until I return to see my referring doctor on Tuesday. RATS! So...the saga continues...


My hand post test- you can't really see because they washed it off but they drew all over it!


They forgot to wash the elbow!


Here you can see two of the stab wounds!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that does not sound fun. I hope it is getting better.

Unknown said...

Good u found me! I added u on! sorry about your wrist, I didn't even know. See u tomorrow....

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

Aw, You poor thing! I hope it gets better without having to do surgery!
p.s. I cut my hair like the day before we left for Japan!)

Kern County Kids Read said...

Yeowch! The word Electropyography just sounds scary. I would have thought that was the one that they shocked you. It's like giving your hand/arm the electric chair! I hope more good news follows now that the expert thinks no carpal tunnel.