Friday, February 1, 2008

A Memorable Experience


I just want to share an experience that Jarad and I had today. Knowing that even though we live close, we wouldn't be able to attend President Hinckley's funeral, we decided to go to the viewing. So, this afternoon, Jarad and I went down to the Conference Center to the viewing for President Hickley. We had to park far away, and ended up waiting in line for about 3 hours. However, it was one of the best and most touching experiences of our life.
After we made it inside, we were seated in the actual Conference Center area to wait to go upstairs to the area were his casket was. They had music from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing there as we waiting. Finally it was our turn and we made our way upstairs to the floor Pres. Hickley was on. As soon as we entered that floor I could tell a difference in the spirit that was there. It was very strong and peaceful. There were many flowers around from his family and others and everything was very beautiful. As we neared his casket, we were overwhelmed by the strength of the Spirit. As we passed Pres. Hickley's casket, he looked very peaceful and happy. I, of course, burst into tears as I was just touched by the Spirit and Jarad just held my hand.
After we passed his casket, we were lead into another room which had many pictures of him and his wife and family. It was such a wonderful and neat experience for both of us. I am so grateful we had the oppurtunity to go down there. It is something we will remember for a very long time. As we left and walked to the car, we both recounted our memories of President Hinckley and all of his teachings that we will remember from his time as our prophet.
Even though we can't be there for the funeral, I know we will watch and feel of the great spirit and legacy that President Hinckley left with us, the Church and the world.

2 comments:

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Agreed! It was a great experience for me as well. I especially loved the last picture shown of President Hinckley and his sweet wife. The photo seemed to be full of life, and as I stared into their eyes the spirit was overwhemling. I could feel their eyes upon me and see their smiles testifying of eternal happiness. Cheers to a wonderful couple and certainly heros of mine!

geri said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wish I could have been there, but I appreciate you sharing. I am just thankful for technology that Seth and I were able to watch the funeral services online. Amen!