Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Single-Handed

This week I have gained great respect to those who live life with one hand! Monday, I had my first and hopefully last surgery! I had a carpel tunnel release on my right hand, where they take out a ligament in your wrist to relieve the pressure on the nerve. This will hopefully be a permanent fix to my wrecked wrist (you can go to the archives in May &June 08 for my wrecked wrist history)
I asked Jarad to take "a few" pictures of my experience but he turned into the paparazzi!


After checking in, they took my vitals to make sure I was healthy enough to have surgery. They had a cool thermometer that rolls over your forehead to get your temp.
 

Jar was very supportive and tried to keep me calm as I was very nervous for my first surgery.


Then I had to change into my sweet hospital gown and pee in a cup. Don't you love my outfit?!


Jarad's Mom- Lin, is in town for the week so she kept Jarad company while I was in surgery.


I also had to have an IV and of course a wrist band so I didn't get lost.


They even had sterile pens with which they wrote on my arm so they made sure to operate on the right side.

Surgery went well and quickly. I remember being rolled away to the OR and then given some oxygen and meds and I don't remember anything after that!


Here I am still sleeping post surgery. Apparently the Dr and anesthesiologist came and asked me questions that I responded to but I don't remember! According to Jar, I also requested cran-raspberry juice which I don't remembered either!


I also got a bunch of OREOs to eat as well.


One cool side note- my gown had this place to attach a warming hose that blew into my gown to keep me warm!


Here I am all ready to go home! Had my ice packs, juice, post-op instructions and prescription for some good pain meds. Now the recovery and waiting begins.

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Poor Ash! How are you feeling now? I hope you're on the mend and recovering super fast. Love you!

Maura said...

You are such a trooper! I hope this takes the pain away forever....What is the street value for lortab these days? :)

The Petterssons said...

Good luck with your recovery! Hope you're feeling alright!

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

How are you feeling? I hope that helps everything! I hate the way anesthesia feel! I want a awesome gown like yours!

Amy S said...

I'm not gonna lie, I liked having you home for recovery this week. Gave Emi and I some company! I do hope your wrist gets feeling better tho. :)

geri said...

You're the cutest patient I've ever seen! Oreos AND a warming hose? I want wrist surgery! Love your guts, wish I could be there to make you an Oreo shake!

PS- sorry for the brain lapse, you did tell me you were having surgery. I'm losing my mind.

Alec and Tiffany said...

I had no idea you were have surgery. I am glad its over with and I hope you have a speedy recovery! Let me know if you need anything!

J said...

What a trooper! I hope you're wrist is feeling better soon. Does this mean you have to stop doing sign language with that hand?
Nice oreo mouth picture btw!

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better fast! Sucks that it is your right hand. Make sure Jarad spoils you...

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Ash- You're missing a ligament! How cool. Good to see your recovery is going well. I hope your first day back at work today was okay. We love ya! Hope you got some sweet jokes out of those wrappers. :) XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I am glad it all went well. You are looking pretty sexy for being in surgery. Jarad got lucky. Love ya!

Kern County Kids Read said...

Eek! I am out of the loop! I didn't know you were having surgery! Way to go Jar being the supportive spouse! Those thermometers are super cool (the kids' pediatrician office has them) -- I want one it would make taking temps. so easy. Do you have a cast or anything? How long is recovery? Do tell!

Ashley said...

I am doing well and able to use my hand a little bit. Still pretty sore but doing better. I don't have a cast...just a big bandage for a few more days then I get my stitches out in a week. Then I just have to build my strength up over time but this should be a permanent fix for me.

Sorry...I thought I told David about the surgery...anyway...thanks to everyone for checking in on me!

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

In the first pic, did they find anything in there? LMBO!!! Thanks for having dinner with me at SLC! Love Kevin.

Kern County Kids Read said...

No- you DID tell David about it, he just didn't bother telling ME! He also didn't tell me about Dad's surgery either! Argh...When I asked him about it he just said sorry. Hello!