Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wrecked Wrist



For the last 6-8 weeks my middle finger on my right hand has been numb (and no, not from over use!). After checking with my primary doctor a few times, he suggested I see a hand surgeon. So, Tuesday, I did just that. Turns out, I probably have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! Basically...he thinks the tendons are inflamed causing pressure/damage to the nerve, which is what is causing the numbness. I have been directed to wear this lovely brace for a month (ugh), take ridiculous amounts of ibuprofen and have a nerve study done. I guess for the nerve study they will put needles (not excited in the least bit about that) in my arm and see how long it takes for the stimulus to reach from the top of my arm down to my finger tips. If my reaction is too slow, and/or the brace doesn't work, then I may end up having surgery this summer! (double ugh!)
Jarad has gotten a good laugh out of this development a few times in the week I've had it. Mainly I've become a wimp (the strength in my hand has significantly declined- I couldn't even open a box of graham crackers at work today!) and have issues with simple things...like using the bathroom! Who knew a little brace would cause such problems! Anyway..I'll keep everyone updated on the progress and developments in the next month.

3 comments:

Chad and Tara said...

Oh Ash, my mom had that in both hands! She had surgery on both and I promise it's not that bad. Because of the way they do it, my mom had hardly any scars and was up and running again pretty quickly. Her reccomendation is to take care of it soon though because to this day she has permanently numb fingers.

Britt said...

That's a bummer. I hope everything works out. Keep us posted!

Kern County Kids Read said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound fun! I had minor inflammation in my wrists when I was working on a computer all day, but it wasn't ever numb -- just felt like pins & needles. It kind of comes back sometimes I noticed when I've been pregnant. I guess because your body swells. Hope you feel better soon! It is no fun to not be able to do "normal" stuff and be inconvenienced.