Friday, May 30, 2008

The Funeral Day

Today was Alan's funeral. It was an extremely hard and emotional day. The funeral was held at the ward building in Heber and everyone who participated did a great job. I am especially proud of Jarad. He not only spoke during the funeral and did a great job but also dedicated the grave. It was a very touching prayer and I am so proud of him for his strength and courage. The procession from the church to the cemetery was unique. One of Alan & Angela's friends has a wagon and was asked to transport the casket in it. Alan's horse was also tied to the back of the wagon and Drew & Nathan rode their horses behind the wagon as well. It was very fitting for Alan and his love of the country, outdoors and horses.
I'm thankful that Jarad and I had each other through this whole difficult experience. It isn't something you would ever imagine having to go through so soon and I hope we don't have to go through again till we are much, much older. I am also so grateful for mine and Jarad's families. We are so lucky to have wonderful families that support and love us from near and far, immediate and extended! And I am also grateful for my girls and their love and support, especially Tarina for driving up to be there to support us. I am so lucky I have such a great support system, both in my families and friends.
There was also a family luncheon after the services which we really appreciate the ward for preparing for everyone. Angela had asked Jarad to take some pictures of the day. So here are a few of them.



One of the flower sprays adorned with Alan's hat.



His hand-made casket had his saddle on it surrounded by flowers.



Alan's horse, Banner was tied to the wagon to symbolize Alan's last ride.



One of Alan's friends, transported the casket in his wagon. It was a very neat procession.



We released a bunch of balloons into the sky for Grandpa Alan to catch and to help the little girls to have a part in his services.

4 comments:

Maura said...

What beautiful pictures! We knew Jarad was nervous about everything he needed to do as part of the service but it sounds like he was amazing.

Kara said...

We're so sorry to hear about your Dad, Jarad. The photos of the funeral are beautiful. He must have been an amazing man. Love, Ammon & Kara

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys are doing okay! I love you guys, please let me know if there is anything at all I can do. I admire your courage and strength

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

His funeral was very touching and I was grateful to be present for it. Jar, you did an awesome job speaking. I know your dad was proud of you. :) What a cool way to tribute your father and his life of courage and strength. You guys are tough! Way to keep your faith so strong during such a trying time. You both are a huge example to us and we love you OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so much! :) Love, Wein